11.6.13

My husband is really into weight-lifting. It hasn't always been this way, but now he spends about an hour or so in the garage every morning, lifting and squatting and whatnot. And since he's seen pretty noticeable physical benefits from lifting, he's been pushing for me to try it as well.

I resisted for a good long while, citing the following:
1. Lifting sounds hard.
2. The garage is full of scary spiders that are bigger than my face, and I don't want a spooky spider to attack me whilst holding a million-pound barbell. That shit just sounds dangerous.

But last week, with the advent of summer, I decided to try something new. Husband made up a workout full of instructions and videos to watch, and I gave it a go.

The first attempt did not go well, with me feeling unable to do anything properly. I took a pity-party break in which I sat in the garden and cried. The pity-party then turned into an anger parade, in which I moved things around near the weight rack and cursed loudly. And then, because I was not willing to be a complete failure, I gave it one more good college try and actually got through the full workout. Sort of.

Workout A is comprised of squats, "yates" rows, and bench presses. The squats are really what did me in, as I felt I was going to either fall over or do bad things to all my muscles. Or both. I used only the empty bar for the squats, but was able to add 10 total pounds to the bench press and 20 total pounds to the rows.

Today I attempted Workout B, which was a bit less frustrating. Workout B entails more squats, overhead presses, and deadlifts. The overhead presses made me feel like a puny little child, as I was barely able to press the empty bar. Ah well.

So this summer, between running and drinking all the tequila, I will also try this weightlifting thing. Maybe it'll stick and I'll like it. Maybe I won't. At least I'm trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment